Spacebase DF-9 Alpha 6: "Brig Ambitions, Broken Dreams" released
Major Features / Enhancements:
Power is now required for base equipment to function. The Base Seed serves as a basic starting power reactor, and additional Fusion and Dark Matter Reactors can be built (with enough Matter and Research) to satisfy each object’s “power draw”. Power flows across connected rooms rather than any kind of wiring system.
Citizens can become angry. Anger builds up over time with unsatisfactory events such as poor job performance, unpleasant social interactions, violence nearby, bad food, etc. Angry citizens who dislike each other may brawl, fighting until incapacitated. When a citizen’s anger gets high enough they may have a violent or non-violent outburst, attacking people or sabotaging base equipment.
Citizens can be detained in Brig zones. Detained citizen anger dissipates over time, but at a cost of removing them from normal citizen life and the work force. Doors will not open for detained citizens. If doors lose power, detained citizens may escape. Brigs can be furnished with critical objects such as beds.
Citizens now own and carry possessions, some of which are functional. They become attached to their possessions, display them on available shelving, and trade for possessions they like more with other citizens. Citizen affinity for a given possession is based on its qualities such as color, material, shape, etc.
Citizens have affinities for different duties, shown as smiley faces in the Roster and Duty Tab. Citizens will perform any duty they’re assigned, but may become unhappy over time if they’re stuck with a duty they don’t like. Likewise, citizens doing a duty they love is good for morale and causes their skills to improve faster.
Objects and Rooms now have a Command Tab, which can be used to issue commands relating to what’s selected. Objects can be torn down or reclaimed for research, power-consuming objects can be deactivated.
Citizens can now be assigned to beds in Residence zones. Citizens will always prefer to use an assigned bed, and are happier for doing so. Citizens will use shelving to display their possessions.
Minor Improvements / Bug Fixes:
- Changes in individual citizen needs and morale are now tracked via graphs in the Psych Profile Tab.
- Objects now have an About Tab that contains miscellaneous non-essential information about the object’s use, history, or context in the Spacebase universe.
- Placing a zone-specific object such as an Oxygen Recycler in an unzoned room will now “auto-zone” that room to its intended function. Tooltip conveys that this will result on click.
- The Beacon menu can now set the desired level of Security response for Beacons and other combat situations: on Non-Lethal, security will always attempt to subdue targets using Stun weapons; on Necessary Force security will meet deadly force with deadly force; on Lethal security will always use deadly force in any situation.
- Tooltips on Beacons show the current response level and target.
- Turrets still default to only target hostiles but can be set to target all characters in their Command Tab.
- Selecting an unassigned citizen opens the Duty Tab by default.
- Security forces waiting for backup at a Beacon set to >1 will display “Waiting for Backup” as their current task.
- Citizen Spaceface logs now comment on people they know and interesting objects in their surroundings.
- Plants don’t grow in rooms with no light.
- Sparks appear briefly when a Technician fails at a maintenance task.
- Move Door to “All Zones” section of Construct menu, Airlock Door to “Airlock” section.
- Citizens now sometimes play a “startle” animation when a dangerous situation breaks out.
- Sabotaged turrets fire at everyone.
- Shift-[ and shift-] cycle selection through objects in a room.
- Initial 3 settlers from Base Seed start with higher morale and energy, and lower hunger.
- Raiders wreck breakable objects if there are no citizens around to attack.
- Citizens double over wheezing if they have a bad illness.
- Object tooltips now show owner where applicable. Room tooltips now show bed capacity where applicable.
- A basic “quick start” mode has been added which allows you to start with a small pre-built base. Access it by selecting the bottom right corner of the galaxy map on the New Base screen.
- Fixed: Morale shouldn’t change while asleep.
- Fixed: Various overflow issues on UI text.
- Fixed: Citizen names appear on cooked meals.